Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2020, 03:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
New 2 Fat Drunks ep!
120649 Posts in 21462 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Movie & DVD Reviews
| | |-+  AVENGERS: END GAME - CAUTION! SPOILERS WITHIN!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AVENGERS: END GAME - CAUTION! SPOILERS WITHIN!!!  (Read 1436 times)
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Boom Operator Supreme

« on: April 26, 2019, 01:09:41 AM »

Spoiler-free, one word review.

PERFECTION

I'll try to expand on this later, but there is almost nothing I can say about it that wouldn't be considered a spoiler. Suffice to say, it's amazing.

4.75 "I can't believe I avoided spoilers" out of 5
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:45:23 PM by Gunslinger » Logged
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +248/-222

Happy Thanksgiving!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Breaks All-Time Thursday Box Office Record With $60 Million

Marvel’s “Avengers: Endgame” earned a whopping $60 million in its Thursday night preview screenings, making it the biggest Thursday night opening at the box office of all time. Screenings started at 6 p.m. and continued in some theaters through all hours of the night and early morning.

“Endgame’s” box office previews flew past the Thursday total for “Avengers: Infinity War,” which earned $39 million and was previously the highest preview amount for any MCU film. “Endgame” also surpassed “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” ($57 million), “Star Wars: The Last Jedi “($45 million), and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” ($43.5 million), which previously held the top three spots. Other Marvel titles “Captain America: Civil War” earned $25 million in previews, while “Black Panther” grossed $25.2 million."
---------------------------------------

I thought you only watched bad movies.....

https://www.thewrap.com/avengers-endgame-sets-thursday-box-office-record-60-million/

Sayonara  suckers!
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »

Even I need to clean the filters occasionally.

I am an unapologetic Marvel fan. This film, the culmination of 22 movies over 11 year, was the best ending one could hope for. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Also, the showing we went to at 10:30 pm was PACKED. As was every other showing according to the MJR app. Good luck to anyone rolling up to the theater hoping to buy a ticket.

Also, my biggest fear did not come to pass. The 11th hour inclusion of a seemingly overpowered Captain Marvel into the MCU did not ruin the film. I was dreading another Justice League, or as I call it, "Waiting for Superman" scenario.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:10:00 AM by Gunslinger » Logged
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »

Holy shit. https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/04/27/avengers-endgame-obliterates-box-office-records-with-1-billion-global-debut/#3c414c6b7f23
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »

Looks like I spoke too soon.

1.2 BILLION

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-opening-weekend-record-global-china-international-box-office-1202601752/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +248/-222

Happy Thanksgiving!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »

All the money.

Sayonara  suckers!
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »

And in a rare feat, they actually earned it.

"They don't fuck it up." ~ Jay from Redlettermedia
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-143

Crush

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »

Everything but the very end

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.  _ Revelations 13
Warpig
Master of disaster

Crush

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »

Okay, first things first:

Spoiler alert, spoiler alert, spoiler alert!!

Okay so let's open up with the positive; the movie was everything that it should have been. they managed somehow to get every character from every movie into this film. I like the fact that they really stepped on the gas from a visual spectacle point of view. Avengers Endgame is definitely the state-of-the-art in filmmaking. In addition, the cast that they have assembled to bring us the story is unparalleled, and I doubt they'll be able to do something like this again, ever.

Also I doubt that they will ever have as effective a villain as Josh Brolin's Thanos.  The "they" in this case is of course the marvel cinematic universe.

The people responsible for these films from iron Man all the way through this last film and even going into Spider-Man far from home coming out this summer should take a victory lap as some of the most creative filmmakers of the last 20 years.

Robert Downey jr. Will never be surpassed as iron Man. It's simply not possible, the role will forever be his. Same as Captain America as played by Chris Evans.  Again, the cast is simply unparalleled.

And now the bad part.

The time travel device used in the film is a very serious problem. It's the worst sort of deus ex machina you could have possibly imagined. I'm not a fan of time-travel movies per se, precisely for the very reasons that make it problematic in this film. It's simply solved too many problems to conveniently and leaves plot holes you can drive a truck through. And as super badass as Tony Stark is, he's not Rick from Rick and Morty, he is not in fact a god and I don't care how long he's had I really do not believe he could have helped invent time travel to solve this problem. For writers that have been so creative in the past, this really feels like a major, major cop out. It really bothered me throughout the film.

In fact it's such a problem, then it affects nearly every single outcome that the film presents. Again, making it a huge, huge plot problem that in order to enjoy the film, I simply had to ignore.  That might sound like a minor complaint, but it really isn't. yes I know I'm watching a film about a demigod who can snap his fingers and wink out half the universe with a glove that has five power stones in it, but my suspension of disbelief goes out the window when you talk about Ant-Man helping iron Man invent time travel to solve this problem.

However oh, that being said, as endings of a series go I've seen much worse. I appreciate the fact that they were willing to completely hit the gas and give you the juice the whole time, sometimes you do just want the cake.

3 time travel sucks out of 5

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.  _ Revelations 13
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »

This review is CRAP, WARPIG!

There are 6 Infinity Stones. GET IT RIGHT. Wink
Warpig
Master of disaster

Crush

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »

My mistake!

But seriously, though, I think my biggest complaint was how Captain America was handled.

First, he fights himself.  Massive, massive time travel no-no.

Then he decides to go back in time and what?  Be two of himself?  Did he go back and make sure his other body was never unfrozen?

Do you realize what a curse it would be to go back in time, knowing EVERYTHING that's going to happen?  If you're Captain America, you'll try and stop it.  He would HAVE to. 

If Captain America ages, then by the time The Avengers come about, he'd be too old to participate.  So NONE of The Avengers can now happen, there's no young Steve Rogers to lead it.

At the end, he just hands over the shield to Falcon.  Yeah, I know he was his partner, but he's NOT CAPTAIN AMERICA, and he's NOT A SUPER SOLDIER.  Which, in turn, would become a curse for him too.  In fact, Falcon only became involved with The Avengers because he ran into Captain America, now that's never happened.

Otherwise, how can Steve then reappear in the timeline he had just left, but now older?

See how goofy that is?  Again, just shockingly lazy writing, especially when compared with Infinity War.

I think it would have been much, much better if they had undone "The Snap" by confronting Thanos.   Instead of messing around, they could have shown the chaos Thanos had wrought by ultimately showing him that his theory was wrong, and that his sacrifices were for nothing, as the balance he wanted to bring to the universe was ultimately impossible.

Much, much deeper philosophical territory than "We'll use time travel!".

See Star Trek IV.

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW.

Well, Falcon becomes Captain America in the comics, so I think that is a nod to that for the comic fans. The King was pretty pleased they did that.

Also, the rules of fictional time travel are just there for plot convenience in other films, the Avengers themselves mention it with Bill & Ted, Back to the Future, Timecop, etc. So they are aware. Luckily it's a comic book movie not based in reality.

Cap helped save the Universe, I think he deserves the life he's always wanted. When he put the stones back when they were taken, any timeline oddities would be corrected. The Ancient One explains this to Banner. The only timeline fuckup is Loki's escape, but that's probably going to help the Loki show being developed for Disney . Also, Loki's timeline must have self-corrected somehow, as he was back in the cell in Asgard when Thor went back.

Cap earned a life with Peggy Carter. In Winter Soldier, he learns that she married and had kids. Who's to say Old Cap wasn't hiding around the corner as he knew he came to visit? If you look at the pics of Peggy and her kids, you don't see the dad. It's possible the Russo Brothers were thinking of this Endgame scenario for a while. He lived a full life, knowing when things would happen, because he lived them before. Thats how he knew to be on that bench at the end, when Hulk sent him back in time. He also knew when not to visit New York or take a vacation in Sokovia.

Thanos thought he was SO right, he destroyed the stones so he COULD'NT change anything even if he were shown the error of his plan. His arrogance was how they even found him at all.

I think was best said in Austin Powers 2...

Warpig
Master of disaster

Crush

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »

Yeah, but there's a distinct difference between a movie ABOUT time travel, and a movie that FEATURES time travel.

The whole point of movies ABOUT time travel is that the protagonists have to deal with the inherent difficulties with time travel as a concept.

Movies that FEATURE time travel get to ignore all that, which is why as a plot device, it's weak.

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

Meh. It provided a perfect chance to wrap up some character arcs in a very satisfying way. Also, it was really fun when they went back to previous movies. Seeing characters long gone. War Machine watching Star Lord at the beginning of Guardians Of the Galaxy was the best.
Warpig
Master of disaster

Crush

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »

Oh look, as an ensemble piece of course it's great.

Fat Thor was pretty funny.

It managed to stay light on it's feet for the most part and it's funny just how much Rocket overshadows Starlord.

But consider this scenario:

The best part of Infinity War is Thanos.  He's central to the story, and probably the most complex and well developed villain in the entire MCU.

So, why not continue that?  What if, instead of The Avengers going to Thanos, he comes to them?

A contrite Thanos where he has realized, to his horror, that once he got everything he wanted.....nothing changed.

That's a story you could have told, where the Universe is slipping into anarchy because Thanos' actions, rather than bringing balance, instead upset the natural order of the Universe, causing chaos to be unleashed everywhere.

You could have started with The Avengers, in the midst of their grief, suddenly being thrust into action by a new enemy, now emboldened by the sudden loss of so many.  An enemy like the Skree for example, who use the 'snap' as an opportunity to seize control with weakened opponents.  Thanos wants to undo what he has done, imagine the story of his redemption.  Would it have been so hard?

An enemy so strong perhaps got the Gauntlet off of him, especially in his weakened state, and was bent on using the gauntlet for their own ends.  But perhaps they cannot yet wield it, but are developing something that can.  Now there's a time element.

Thanos has to contact The Avengers to help him retrieve the glove before the enemy can use it in order restore what was lost and in the process of this struggle, Thanos dies. 

Imagine that story.  You get all the great comic action you want, and a story arc that sees Thanos' redemption, even to the point of bringing Gamora back via sacrificing himself.

Thanos would have instantly become the greatest character in the MCU.

Instead, we get a decent Marvel movie without the elements that made Infinity War so special.

An opportunity lost.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO TO THE EGE HOMEPAGE
GO TO THE OLD EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.