Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 03:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
VAMPIRELAND just went over 1 million views!  Check it out here: https://youtu.be/v-XQSYzR-rU
114176 Posts in 20275 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Movie & DVD Reviews
| | |-+  ALITA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ALITA  (Read 81 times)
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +145/-34

you just made...

« on: March 11, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »

I decided to participate in the #AlitaChallenge this weekend to protest political correctness. Although honestly I have been trying to get out to see this movie for three weeks but haven’t been able to find the time. I was not disappointed (except that I couldn’t see it in IMAX-3D). As a fan of the comic book I was trepidatious, but I should never have doubted James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, and Weta Digital. It would be difficult to make a more loyal adaptation of the source material.

“Battle Angel Alita” (Viz Comics retitled and reformatted version of Yukito Kishiro’s Japanese manga “Gun Dream” came out during my high school years 90-95 and it was one of the few comics that I kept reading into college, unlike many other American comics. The reason being, it was one artist’s voice. He wrote and drew every panel of every issue. It was a violent and yet human story about the haves and have nots of a post-war dystopia with a female cyborg who is stuck in-between the two worlds.

I am probably biased with this review because seeing the black and white comic book in fully rendered live action was kind of a dream come true. And the fact that they were so faithful to the original tale (almost panel for panel) while also embellishing the weaknesses of that story with some well placed pathos made me sit in amazement. The movie it probably most closely resembles is Robocop. The protagonist is a full cyborg, with her brain and spinal column being the only remaining piece of humanity. The villain is The Factory, a corporation that serves the rich who live in a floating city above Alita’s home, The Scrapyard. At one point in the story she has to defeat a dozen ED-209 robots with only a sword. Naturally The Factory doesn’t want a rebellion so all guns are forbidden under penalty of death. That is why I really like the Japanese title of this story, Gun Dream, because guns are literally unknown to these characters. Alita’s adopted father Doc Ito uses a rocket-powered sledgehammer to tear cyborgs apart.

The main thing I feared was that the fully CG Alita wouldn’t work. But Weta pulled it off. I think that one of the reasons why it works is because her face is a machine. Through flashbacks we see that Alita came from a line of elfin cyborg warriors who all look like her. The flashbacks are so good that I wanted to see more of them, like Alita engaged in combat on the Moon.

So I loved this movie. It was everything I wanted from an adaptation of one of my favorite comic books. The only disappointment was the music which could have been so much better. I was surprised that they didn’t incorporate any Japanese elements like the anime version did. Also the comic is hyperviolent with gallons of blood flowing between the pages. The movie took a PG-13 take but it was actually not very noticeable. She cuts a dude’s face off for instance. A dog’s death which was very gruesome in the anime, was done off screen here which I think was appropriate. Much like Robocop, there is a disturbing gross factor with the cyborgs. Almost everyone in The Scrapyard has some kind of augmentation but the full body cyborgs like Alita still stand out as freaks in that world. Much like Murphy, she is an amnesiac looking for answers and has to kill a lot of people to get them.

It is sad and disappointing that this movie got dragged into a political correctness fiasco but we can blame that squarely on one entity, the Disney corporation (aka The Factory). There is an obvious reason why the Rotten Tomatoes score for Alita is only 60% while the audience score is a 94% approval. Alita was made outside the studio system. Robert Rodriguez said that directing this movie (his first mega budget feature) was more like making a indie film because the only person he had to answer to was James Cameron, who also wrote the screenplay. Before it even came out the shill media was calling it the next John Carter or Mortal Engines. They wanted it to fail. On the other end we see the same presstitutes counting the accolades for Disney’s ill-conceived, agenda-driven Captain Marvel, giving it rave reviews while audiences said only “meh.”

As Alita says in the movie “I will not stand by in the presence of evil.” Disney ruined Star Wars and is now on their way to ruining Marvel Comics for good. As much as I want to see Infinity War 2, I really do not want to support “The Factory.”

4 Hunter-Warriors Outta 5

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:22:05 PM by crow » Logged

...the biggest mistake of your life.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Do you know the sound of thunder?

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »

s a fan of the comic book I was trepidatious, but I should never have doubted James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, and Weta Digital.

I only found out recently that RR - they didn't pimp that fact at all/  Nor Cameron's influence.  A woefully marketed movie...

Which is part of why it only broke even (at best).

Did the PG-13 rating hurt them in this regard? 

Listen to the thunder.
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +145/-34

you just made...

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:30:26 PM »

Did the PG-13 rating hurt them in this regard?

Such a difficult question to answer. If they went that route it definitely would have become a cult classic like Dredd. But $200 million before ads is a a lot of bread and they were probably too scared to make it a 17 and over demo. I agree that it was very poorly marketed as were John Carter and Dredd.

...the biggest mistake of your life.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Do you know the sound of thunder?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:46:57 PM »

It's so odd that these studios will spend hundreds of millions of dollars and still not know what kind of movie they have.

Listen to the thunder.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.