Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 10:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
VAMPIRELAND just went over 1 million views!  Check it out here: https://youtu.be/v-XQSYzR-rU
113912 Posts in 20214 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+ Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+ Entertainment News
| |-+ Movie & DVD Reviews
| | |-+ BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY  (Read 72 times)
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +145/-34

you just made...

« on: February 12, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »

Perhaps Bryan Singer's swan song, Bohemian Rhapsody is a safe, non-controversial, dull biopic about the exciting and anything but dull life of Freddie Mercury and his band Queen.

Everyone already knows that this movie has been in production hell for ten years. Bryan Singer was actually fired halfway through production for "unprofessionalism" but he retains the directors credit due to union rules. As he was not a part of post-production, it's hard to say if this film is his vision or that of his replacement Dexter Fletcher. I think most likely it is that of executive producer Brian May. It was after all May who caused former star and director Sasha Baron Cohen to leave the project. Cohen wanted the movie to be an R-rated realistic look at Mercury's life. He was going to start the film with the eccentric star feasting on a giant pile of coke, Scarface-style. May clearly wanted the portrayal of his band to be cleaner and more family friendly and so we got the PG-13 TV movie I am reviewing. Strangely it was a massive box office smash hit which I can only attribute to the love Queen's music still garners in the public.

It's not a bad movie (but the music is really the only great thing about it) and we've heard these songs hundreds of times already on the radio, in sports arenas, and in other movies. In fact they gave Mike Myers a role as the bands producer because his decision to head bang to the titular song in Wayne's World propelled it to No. 2 on the Billboard charts in 1992. It only reached No. 9 in the States upon it's original release.

Rami Malek is fine as Mercury, but he looks nothing like him. The false teeth he had to wear made his English accent more authentic I'm sure. There really isn't much reason to discuss the other characters in the film because they are two-dimensional and receive no back stories. Even Mercury's two loves, his wife and his male lover are barely in the film. We never see him engaged in drug use or sex. The fact that he is gay is really only hinted at and you don't even know when he actually started going to gay bars. Sasha Baron Cohen wanted to embrace Mercury's extreme lifestyle because let's face it, it would be entertaining. But this film portrays him as being a bit boring. It also changes history at every chance it gets to give the film more drama. For example, Queen never broke up, but they do in the film to make it seem like their performance at Live Aid was a reunion concert.

Not terrible, but not exciting, Rhapsody will probably best be known as Bryan Singer's last film and for it's box office success.

3 Octaves Outta 5

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:22:27 PM by crow » Logged

...the biggest mistake of your life.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

If you listen to fools....

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »

Not terrible, but not exciting, Rhapsody will probably best be known as Bryan Singer's last film and for it's box office success.

I'll take odds on that....

And Freddie Mercury was gay?  Who knew?

Thanks for jumping on the grenade.

...the mob rules.
Enquitsu Orcha
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

\_(ツ)_/ Boom Operator Supreme

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »

Not a fan of Queen's music, so I had no interest in seeing this at all.

That being said... I'd watch the HELL out of a version by Sacha Baron Cohen.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »

Not a fan of Queen's music, so I had no interest in seeing this at all.

That being said... I'd watch the HELL out of a version by Sacha Baron Cohen.

Yup.

And what, you don't like FLASH GORDON?

...the mob rules.
crow
Admin
Swami

you just made...

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »

And don't forget Highlander. Neither soundtrack is mentioned in the film.

Enquitsu Orcha
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

\_(ツ)_/ Boom Operator Supreme

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »

Well, I don't consider that standard Queen music. Flash Gordon is a goddamned masterpiece. Same with 'Princes of the Universe' from Highlander.

Everything else they did is MEH. And thats what I hear everywhere I go. I even hate the song in Shaun of the Dead and I fucking LOVE that movie.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »

And don't forget Highlander. Neither soundtrack is mentioned in the film.

Wow.  Total fail.

...the mob rules.
crow
Admin
Swami

you just made...

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

"Who Wants to Live Forever" (a Brian May song from Highlander) is played when Mercury gets his AIDS diagnosis but their is no context given.

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »

He had AIDS?   Wink

Well, at least they acknowledged that.

...the mob rules.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.