Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2019, 07:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Watch REANIMATED ep 2 now! 
112909 Posts in 20013 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  The Dead Pool
| | |-+  Albert Finney, 82
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albert Finney, 82  (Read 34 times)
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

« on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

Always one of my favorite actors, Albert Finney passed away at the age of 82.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6682937/Actor-Albert-Finney-died-age-82.html

Legendary British actor and five-time Oscar nominee Albert Finney dies aged 82 following a short illness

Actor Albert Finney has died at the age of 82, a family spokesman revealed today.

The star, who has played Ebenezer Scrooge, Sir Winston Churchill and Annie's 'Daddy' Warbucks in his long and varied career on stage and screen, died after a short illness.

A statement from a family spokesman said: 'He passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side. The family request privacy at this sad time.'

The bookmaker's son was born and educated in Salford, Greater Manchester, rising to worldwide stardom but despite being nominated for Oscars five times he never won. 

Finney, known as British cinema's original 'angry young man' whose breakthrough performances came alongside Liza Minelli and Audrey Hepburn, considered himself anti-establishment and twice turned down honours - a CBE in 1980 and a knighthood in 2000. 

He was married three times, to actresses Jane Wenham and Anouk Aimeé and finally to travel agent Pene Delmage in 2006, who has survived him with his son Simon, from his first marriage.

He had battled health problems in recent years but survived a cancer scare in 2011 - but it is not known if the disease had returned.

He made his movie debut with a small part in The Entertainer in 1960, becoming the face of British cinema for his portrayal of Tom Jones.

Director Tony Richardson then offered Finney the lead in kitchen-sink drama Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and period romp Tom Jones, which made him a major star.

He most recently starred in the James Bond film Skyfall and the Bourne films.

------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I am concerned, I remember Albert Finney from three films:

Looker, Wolfen, and The Dresser.  Most regular visitors here know about the first two, but The Dresser is a much different film, being mostly about the relationship between a clearly gay theartre costumer enslaved to a brilliant actor who treats him poorly, in spite of his slavish devotion.

Finney is so dominant in the film, the other actor, Tom Courtnay simply disappears, which is precisely what the story means to convey.  I doubt Finney was like that in real life, but who knows?

Anyway, that's not a bad three-pack of movies to watch for a great actor now passed on.

Strawberry Fields Forever!
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +145/-34

life is movement

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »

The two movies that I remember him best from are Two For the Road and Miller's Crossing. Good actor. RIP.

"Health is a divine gift, and the care of the body is a sacred duty, to neglect which is to sin."  - Sandow
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +79/-3

I've never met an abyss, I wouldn't stare into.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »

For some reason I'm remembering him in SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING (1960) as an angry young man,
where every shot looks like the cover of a Smiths single.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:36:04 PM by Plissken » Logged

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie. –Miyamoto Musashi
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »

Those shots would be great Smiths covers.

Strawberry Fields Forever!
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

A candy colored clown they call the Sandman....

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

It's amazing that a man can make it to 82 and drink as much as I assume Finney did.

RIP

Tip toes through my room every night.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.