Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2019, 11:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out our latest short movie, THE CLOSET:
https://youtu.be/WBetOrfUhl0
114559 Posts in 20375 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Non-entertainment News
| |-+  Warpig's world (Moderator: Warpig)
| | |-+  Should you keep your gun mags loaded?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should you keep your gun mags loaded?  (Read 119 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Do ya....

« on: January 07, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »

One of the interesting debates is whether or not you should keep your mags loaded or not.  It's a fairly important question, both in terms of home security (wouldn't want to be loading a mag in the dark while there's an invader in the house), and it's a pain in the ass to load mags.  It'd be a bummer to always have to unload the mag.

Many claims out there, the most interesting one is that actually firing your gun a lot, thus using mag a lot, is actually the worst of all.

The first video has a test where on at least one brand, the springs do indeed lost nearly an inch of length.  But does it affect the actual use?  It looks like no.

Does the Pig have any insight?

Long, but very interesting vid (kept 3 different ypes of mags loaded for 5 years straight)

Hickock 45's much shorter video... which more or less agrees with the more scientific one:

Punk?
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +79/-3

Extreme times call for extreme measures.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 05:22:18 AM »

That controlled experiment gave me a bit of confidence in my aging Glock 22 mags from the nineties.

The point about the wear and tear, that it really does primarily come from compressing and unloading over and over, seems to make sense.

Unless there are any unexpected insights to the contrary, the general properties of metals would seem to indicate that.

The more you compress and decompress, the more minute tears develop and oxidation occurs more and more ever so gradually, barring damage from a weird plastic, non-compression bend.

Simply keep the mags you use for normal shooting separate from the ones you keep loaded and ready to go in an emergency.

"If you believe in small government and freedom you should fight for the rights of those who will impose communism upon you and take away your freedom" - A "True" Libertarian

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson, Founding Father of the United States ... also a Fascist somehow
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

I take the cues from certain people I know...

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

What is the policy of the military on this?

I guess I hadn't thought about it that much, but I wonder about 'wear and tear' and exactly how long it would take for that to be a factor on magazines?

I have a pretty mixed bag of mags, some old-school WWII type mags, some ProMag polymer ones, but I get the feeling that it's probably a non-issue.

I mean, I don't remember seeing any videos talking about "....and during the battle, their magazines began failing because of having kept them loaded for so long...".

So, I'm just going to keep mine loaded, at least I know the first couple rounds will fire?

"Assassin.  Sounds so exotic.  I was just a murderer." _ Richard "Iceman" Kulkinski
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +79/-3

Extreme times call for extreme measures.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

Just keep the mags loaded and pass more over here.

"If you believe in small government and freedom you should fight for the rights of those who will impose communism upon you and take away your freedom" - A "True" Libertarian

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson, Founding Father of the United States ... also a Fascist somehow
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Do ya....

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »

What is the policy of the military on this?

Actually prolly not the folks you wanna emulate on this issue - the military treats they guns the same way you & I would treat an old hammer.

They throw in bins, throw 'em on the ground, yada.  That's 'cause they know there's always a new one waiting for them if the gun gets broken.

Punk?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.