Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2019, 05:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Watch REANIMATED ep 2 now! 
112407 Posts in 19923 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: jdv)
| | |-+  Netflix's "Bird Box", scariest movie ever?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Netflix's "Bird Box", scariest movie ever?  (Read 78 times)
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Gaming is life

« on: December 26, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/film/netflixs-new-horror-film-labelled-13777603

Netflix's new horror film labelled 'most terrifying' thing people have ever seen.

Bird Box, which has just dropped on Netflix, stars Sandra Bullock but it's proving a bit too scary for some viewers

Most of us have spent the last few weeks binging on Netflix's huge collection of Christmas films.

But now the big day is behind us, it's time to find something a bit less cheerful to watch - and the streaming company has the perfect thing.

New horror film Bird Box has landed and many people are saying it's the most terrifying thing they've ever seen.

The film stars a number of big names, including Sandra Bullock , Tom Hollander and Sarah Paulson .

Netflix's new horror film labelled 'most terrifying' thing people have ever seen

Bird Box, which has just dropped on Netflix, stars Sandra Bullock but it's proving a bit too scary for some viewers

Most of us have spent the last few weeks binging on Netflix's huge collection of Christmas films.

But now the big day is behind us, it's time to find something a bit less cheerful to watch - and the streaming company has the perfect thing.

New horror film Bird Box has landed and many people are saying it's the most terrifying thing they've ever seen.

The film stars a number of big names, including Sandra Bullock , Tom Hollander and Sarah Paulson .

It tells the story of pregnant Malorie - played by Sandra Bullock - who is trying to survive after an unknown force begins to cause mass suicide when its victims lay eyes on it.

She joins a band of survivors in an attempt to stay alive by not opening their eyes after the violent death of her beloved sister.

People have taken to social media to share their views on the new film.

It tells the story of pregnant Malorie - played by Sandra Bullock - who is trying to survive after an unknown force begins to cause mass suicide when its victims lay eyes on it.

She joins a band of survivors in an attempt to stay alive by not opening their eyes after the violent death of her beloved sister.

People have taken to social media to share their views on the new film.

@BabyGirlK_
 i hate bird box because it made me feel like i was actually in the movie and it was TERRIFYING

Princess♡Gabbrielle
@GabLikesGlitter
 #BirdBox is honestly terrifying. Apocalyptic movies freak me out 😭

Bethany
@bethanyfayxo
 Bird Box is terrifying idk if I can get through this

Liv
@livdunaway
 Newsflash: Bird Box on Netflix is terrifying don’t watch it alone late at night

Tommy Blake
@tommyxblake
 Bird Box on Netflix is honestly the most terrifying but incredible movie I’ve ever seen

♡ Hansie ♡
@SAILORHANS
 Watched #birdbox on Netflix finally... that was TERRIFYING AND SO EMOTIONAL

Even though it's very scary and you might need a cushion to hide behind, it's already proving to be a bit hit with movie lovers.

The show dropped on Netflix on December 21.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:52:24 PM by Warpig » Logged

Strawberry Fields Forever!
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +79/-3

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »

I likes me summa dat bird box. Mmm hmm.

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie. –Miyamoto Musashi
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Dirty.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41:27 AM »

Well, if Princess♡Gabbrielle@GabLikesGlitter says it's scary it must be true.

I never went in for embroidery, just results.
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Gaming is life

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

So I watched it.

I need a new scale for horror.

Like, for example, I was watching Shockwerks TV yesterday and as you know, they run pretty much non-stop schlock horror previews from the 1970's and 80's.  Lots of fun, anyway, the narrator for a particularly nasty film called 'I drink your blood and I eat your skin' (no joke, man) refers to the film as 'adult horror'.  Naturally I asked, "What, as opposed to 'Children's Horror'?

Which got me thinking about a horror scale that's more descriptive than a simple, say, 1 to 10 for scares.

So, a five point scale representing what you can expect:

1 - Children's Horror - Nothing gory, no violence, maybe ghosts, but not gross ones.  No profanity, basically 'Goosebumps'.

2 - "Lifetime Television" Horror - Scary to women.  Women's physical safety or the safety of children threatened, probably both at some point.  A man will be to blame for the threat, and a man will be responsible for neutralizing the threat.  You can substitute 'Soap Horror' here as well, see 'Haunting of Hill House' or anything by Ryan Murphy.  Probably mostly incomprehensible to children.

3 - Standard Horror - Verse, chorus, verse type horror films.  Predictable, but basically decent horror, universal scares.  Children can watch, and will be very frightened, but not traumatized.  Thinking 'James Wan' type horror.

4 - Adult Horror - Actually scary, original, or otherwise unpredictable and therefore frightening to adults.  Not for children at all, possibly traumatic.  Heavy psychological horror and/or extremely graphic horror goes here.

5 - Life-Affecting Horror - Shit that stays with you man.  Causes actual nightmares.  Makes going home at night difficult.

Bird Box is 'Lifetime' horror.

Strawberry Fields Forever!
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +144/-34

'nuff said

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »

I liked it. As you guys said in your 2018 video it is clearly inspired by A Quiet Place. These are simple gimmicks but they go a long way.

I can see why people say it's so "terrifying." It's because of tension. You can have tension in a crime movie, an action thriller, or even a drama. I found parts of this movie to be difficult to watch because the tension and suspense was so thick. This one has more in common with Night of the Living Dead than A Quiet Place did. Many of the tropes from that classic film are present in Bird Box. For example Harry Cooper is portrayed by John Malkovich. He's the guy that nobody trusts or believes but he's always right... about everything.

The acting overall is excellent. Malkovich and Bullock are of course a-list talent and give the movie the acting chops it needed and yet having such famous actors in a horror film can be a problem. It takes away from the suspension of disbelief. Likewise Bullock's heavy make-up and de-aging visual effects on her face (that try to make us believe that a 54 year old woman could give birth) also took away from the story. Although she is an actress that I like to see, I think she was miscast. Just too old for the part.

The best part of the movie is the gimmick as it's a good one. The script can basically write itself. Going anywhere or doing anything while blind adds a layer of horror even scarier than silence. But just like with A Quiet Place there are massive plot holes and incomprehensible character acts. Like in AQP, why not just move by the waterfall? In Bird Box, why not move into the grocery store, stock up on ammo, secure all exits and live out the next few years in comfort and security? Nah, too easy. You could say that would work for awhile but unlike AQP, Bird Box has Reinfields, who can go places the monster cannot. They add another layer of tension and scares.

Overall I thought it was very good and actually liked it better than AQP.

4 blindfolds outta 5

"With great power there must also come great responsibility."   - Amazing Fantasy #15
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Dirty.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

I gotta be honest - if it says "Netflix Production" it's already got 2 1/2 strikes against it. 

Their self-produced movies are kinda like when someone hits the lottery, then decides that they're a film maker because they bought a RED.  I mean, the shows look professional but are also almost always unwatchable boring/silly/straight up immoral.

But might have to give it a look see.

I never went in for embroidery, just results.
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »

I saw it and was disappointed. I was like 'Oh... it's like the Happening?' The cast was pretty good. The premise was meh. The monsters weren't explained well at all. The rules were all over the place and very inconsistent. Too many stupid things the characters do to move the plot along.

1 dumb pregnant woman out of 5

The RLM guys nail it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.