Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2018, 03:19:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
Watch REANIMATED on youtube & help our indiegogo fundraising effort!

111647 Posts in 19770 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+ Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+ Entertainment News
| |-+ Movies (Moderator: jdv)
| | |-+ The House that Jack Built
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The House that Jack Built  (Read 16 times)
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Merry Christmas

« on: November 28, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/uncensored-the-house-that-jack-built-only-playing-wednesday2018-11

The uncensored cut of Lars von Trier's serial-killer movie that prompted 100 walkouts at Cannes will play in theaters tomorrow for one night only

The uncensored director's cut of the controversial serial-killer movie that caused outcry at this year's Cannes Film Festival is getting a theatrical release for one night only on Wednesday.

Director Lars von Trier's "The House That Jack Built," starring Matt Dillon as a twisted murderer, prompted at least 100 people to walk out of the film's screening at Cannes during its premiere in May because of its grotesque depiction of violence against women and children. A particularly gruesome scene that caused walkouts was one in which two small kids' heads are blown off by a hunting rifle.

Though the director's cut will play for only one night, an edited, R-rated cut will be released on December 14.

Von Trier doesn't mind the controversy and has even welcomed it. Posters for the film released in September showed people contorted into disturbing positions, including actress Uma Thurman, who also stars as one of Jack's many victims.

Some critics called the movie "unpleasant" and "torturous," while others actually liked it. The film received a standing ovation at Cannes from those who stayed until the very end. Indiewire film critic David Ehrlich tweeted earlier this month, "i sincerely regret to inform you that THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT will 100% be on my list of the year's best films. please make your peace with that now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lars Von Trier.......the only 'bad boy' in cinema?

I'm torn by this film, because it sounds unpleasant (extremely), but does that mean bad?

Maybe the idea here is that too often serial killers are almost celebrated when they really shouldn't be. 

They are demented, cruel, evil individuals who perpetrate unspeakable horrors on innocent victims.

So therefore, should not the depiction of actual serial killers on film be equally unspeakable and demented?

I think Von Trier presents an interesting question here and people are reacting accordingly, as you can see from above.

Which makes me wonder where Von Trier sits in the arts?

Visionary?  Or high-end schlockmeister?

....And it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! ...God bless Us, Every One!
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

I'm Captain Wild Bill Kelso....

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »

Visionary?  Or high-end schlockmeister?

I had my kid's head crushed in by a vampire's fist in one of my movies....

So I'd go with schlockmeister.

...And don't you forget it.
Warpig
Master of disaster

Merry Christmas

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

Well then it's clear: you have to hire Uma Thurman.

It's so obvious, I don't know why you didn't think of it already!

....And it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! ...God bless Us, Every One!
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

I'm Captain Wild Bill Kelso....

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »

I'm all out of Uma Thurman money.

...And don't you forget it.
Warpig
Master of disaster

Merry Christmas

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

I'm all out of Uma Thurman money.

Dammit, there's ALWAYS a catch!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.