Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 11:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Watch REANIMATED on youtube & help our indiegogo fundraising effort!

111831 Posts in 19803 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Filmmaking - Tips, Tools, and Tricks
| |-+  Production
| | |-+  Panny to intro full frame camera in 2 weeks?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panny to intro full frame camera in 2 weeks?  (Read 102 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

I'm Captain Wild Bill Kelso....

« on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »

'Cause that's the rumor:

"Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame Mirrorless system camera on September 25
    Panasonic will only show a prototype with non finalized specs
    The new camera will go on market by March 2019
    Panasonic has designed this new sensor
    The camera will have way more than 30 Megapixels
    The camera has excellent video quality

These are the unconfirmed rumors (may be right or may be wrong):

The camera will take current MFT lenses via adapter
    Costs around $3,000
    Has no on sensor stabilization
    2 slot card
    4K with no crop in FF and 10 bit 4:2:2
    weather sealed"
----------------------------------------------

Meh.  While I have no more interest in a Panny FF camera the nsay a SOny or Canon, certainly this will float some people's boats.  More as it's known.

...And don't you forget it.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »

And it did indeed drop today:

"Panasonic has chosen to go with Leica’s L-Mount, which means eight Leica lenses are already available for them. Leica and Panasonic have worked closely together in the past, and now have formed a new alliance that also includes Sigma, who will also produce lenses for the L-Mount.

Panasonic will make 10 lenses of its own within the next 12 months, as well three coming this year: a 50mm f/1.4, 24-105mm, and 70-200mm zoom lenses that the company says will have both high-resolution performance and impressive bokeh.

Both the S1R and S1 will house full-frame sensors, but the S1R will sit at a higher 47-megapixel resolution while the S1 offers 24 megapixels. Both cameras will also use the Venus Engine processor. Like Panasonic’s Micro Four Thirds G series, the cameras can capture 4K/60 video. (And while Panasonic isn’t launching an 8K camera at this year’s Photokina, the company is promising 8K sometime in 2020).

The camera body and lenses can work together to create a Dual IS system, which uses both the stabilization from the camera body and the stabilization from the lens for additional shake reduction. Panasonic says the series is the first to use Dual IS on a full-frame sensor.

While the advancement of full-frame mirrorless this year alone is enough to make some photographers question the future of Micro Four Thirds, Yamane says the Lumix G series isn’t going anywhere. The S series is designed for professionals with the best image quality, while the G Series is the most responsive, most portable camera line from the company.

The Panasonic Lumix S1R and S1 will launch in early 2019. Official pricing and full specifications have not yet been announced."

As well as the world's fastest zoom lens, the 10-25mm f/1.7 - for micro four thirds no less.

And there's going to be another firmware update for the GH5, GH5s, and G9:

1.Improvement of AF performance
・There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in AFC mode. The new firmware minimizes this problem.

・There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in video recording. The new firmware minimizes this problem.

The accuracy of detecting the subject has been improved by optimizing the focus area settings and tracking speed.
The point of focus remains on the subject instead of shifting to the background.

2.Improvement of video recording operation
・[One Push AE] failed to operate when [SS/Gain Operation] is set to [ANGLE/ISO] while shooting in Creative Video M mode. This bug has been fixed.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/panasonic-lumix-s1r-ands1-announced-photokina-2018/

The B.O.B.
Great Kazoo

Instant karma is real +82/-21

Fucking yeah...!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »

Definitely some interesting stuff about it, some good/some not as good. I'm still waiting for the A7sIII.

As someone who's bought into Panny's micro 4/3's system, how do you feel about them getting into full frame? Do you think they can still produce superior m4/3 cameras like the GH series, while still diving headfirst into the full frame mirrorless market?

When I kill, it's for Queen and country.  Though I admit, killing you would be a pleasure.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

Yeah, been thinking on that.  Here's me 2 cents:

The GH5 is the best indie film camera ever made.  No doubts on that front; it's just fantastic.  From anamorphic to 4K 60fps to stabilizer to menu system to lenses, to pre-amp for external mics, to ergonomics, to weather sealing, it's simply the best.

Full frame cameras, in my opinion, are primarily for still photogs.  They have little use, other then beauty shots of leading ladies, in proper film making, even if you have the time to make sure everything's in focus.  Which I don't.

Ep 1 of REANIMATED a nice example - you really can not tell if its your A7 or the VG20 from shot to shot.  People tend to obsess with bokeh because they're not actually shooting movies.  I'm all for shallow DoF for effect, but everything from CITIZEN KANE to any show you like on TV has very little ultra-thin DoF.  It's a tool in the bag of tricks, it's not the whole show (like it is in stills).

And of course, you can still get razor thin DoF in micro four thirds; just get a fast prime.  Heck, I'm getting shallow DoF all day long using that 2.8 Olympus zoom.  MFT cameras will always have an appeal to people who want to travel light - the lenses are so much smaller then full frame that it's nuts.

All that said, I understand why Panny's doing this - the wedding market/still market is something that a camera company can ill afford to ignore.  The show that this was announced at a trade show aimed at wedding guys/still shooters, and it's an expanding market.  And some film makers want that FF look - more cinema cameras are available in full frame.  This camera could make a nice B cam/crash cam for Hollywood shows, esp if you're already committed to the Panasonic look.

The sensor is Panny's own - a good thing IMO - and the mount is new.  Jury will be out on that for a while, but in my view Panny is better, more friendly to it's customers company than Sony is.  That they're staying committed to MFT is a sign of that; so are the still coming firmware upgrades to the GH--- series.

In other words, while I personally don't have a desire for full frame (something that could change if I started shooting more stills), I'd be inclined to buy this new camera if I did go FF.  Having Leica and Sigma (easily the best 3rd party lens makers going) on-board with the new mount is a big deal.  4k at 60 FPS in full frame is something Sony users been begging for - and it's still not here.  That there's IBIS on the sensor is crazy; that it will have dual stabilization even betterer.

So an interesting camera.  But will Panny still keep making MFT cams?  Good question.  Short term - it don't matter much.  The GH5 is likely to be close to state of the art for years to come.  Short of being better at auto-focus and shooting 4k at 120 FPS, there's not much to improve.  Maybe the GH6 will have that more sensitive/slightly larger sensor from the GH5s (which is about a stop faster), or maybe a new sensor w/ better dynamic range... but all that amounts to baby-steps.  Hard to image a significant leap forward in the next 3-5 years.  Shit, that VG20 is still rocking after being out after being announced 7 years ago....

So to answer the question long term - I suppose it depends on full frame sales.  If Panny's selling FF cams at a 4-1 pace, they'll likely give up on MFT.  I doubt that will happen however; I'm guessing Panny will stay committed to MFT for at least another 5 years if not longer.  Olympus will almost certainly stay with MFT (they didn't announce anything new at the show), and they've been making significant progress in video.  Full frame will remain a niche market I'm guessing.

One wild card I can't fins to answer to yet - can the existing MFT lenses be adapted to the new mount?  If so, that would be a significant development.

An important note - Panny's still camera division doesn't seem to give a shit about protecting the cinema camera line-up.  That's in stark contrast to Sony, which is notorious for crippling its cheaper cameras... meaning that these cameras may well end up being more capable the Sony A7III S, and cheaper too.

New Panny on the right, new Sony AIII on the left:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:59:26 PM by jdv » Logged

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:12:42 PM »

Do you think they can still produce superior m4/3 cameras like the GH series, while still diving headfirst into the full frame mirrorless market?

Well, Panny's sure trying to make the world believe they will.  From photgearnews:

"Panasonic: “we will never give up on MFT because 70% of the system camera market is NOT Full Frame

1) Quite obvisouly Panasonic confirmed their strong commitment with the MFT system “we will never give up on MFT”
    2) More interestingly they said 70% of the system camera market is NOT Full Frame.
    3) The reason why they launche a new FF system is to get a portion of this 30% Full Frame market"
------------------------------------

Of course, if they start losing their asses on MFT, or conversely start making a mint in full frame, all bets are off. 

But I'm guessing people who want full frame have long ago switched to Sony.  A new lens mount - L - which will no doubt feature some very expensive glass isn't any more likely to get people to make the switch.

In the end, I'm guessing the is Panny's way of putting the toe in the water, and covering all the bases.

http://www.photogearnews.com/panasonic-lumix-s1-s1r-we-find-out-the-basics-of-the-two-new-cameras/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.