Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 08:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
EGE will be at the Continuum Convention October 5-7!
http://continuumcon.org/
110605 Posts in 19544 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: jdv)
| | |-+  MCU to get LGBQ'd
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MCU to get LGBQ'd  (Read 91 times)
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Sorry, but I only listen to 'Progressive' Rock.

« on: June 28, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »

Or so Kevin Feige is threatening....

https://theplaylist.net/kevin-feige-lgbtq-marvel-universe-20180625/

Kevin Feige Says There Will Soon Be At Least Two LGBTQ Heroes In Marvel Universe

(I thought we were dropping the 'B'?)

With great power comes great responsibility” and that’s what Marvel Studios has had to face in representing communities from all around the world and society.  Not only is it the right thing to do, but you sort of owe it to moviegoers when they’ve contributed to over $6.6 billion in U.S. ticket sales alone.  And slowly but surely (perhaps a bit too slowly) the Disney division has shepherded films featuring characters such as “Black Panther,” a genuine cultural milestone, and next year’s “Captain Marvel,” its first release with a solo female lead.  And there have even been calls from some of the women of the MCU for a movie of their own.  While People of Color have increasingly been given the spotlight, one aspect of the Marvel Universe that’s been missing has been an LGBTQ hero or heroine.  A head-scratching omission as they have been part of Marvel Comics for decades.  After speaking to Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige on Sunday it appears that’s about to change.

The context for the interview was for “Ant-Man and the Wasp” where despite the film’s San Francisco setting there isn’t a gay character to be found (it should be noted it is technically the studio’s first film with a female lead in the title).  With Pride month in full effect, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask the Feige when its LGBTQ+ fans would get to see themselves represented on screen.  Here is exactly how Feige answered that question verbatim.

The Playlist: When are we getting a Gay, Bi, LGBTQ, out character in the MCU?  Is it even in the works?

Kevin Feige: Yes.

The Playlist: That’s the answer?

Kevin Feige: Yeah, that’s the answer.

The Playlist: It’s not someone we’ve seen yet, I’m guessing?

Kevin Feige: Both.

The Playlist: Both?

Kevin Feige: Both ones you’ve seen and ones you haven’t seen.

That last answer likely confirms Tessa Thompson’s revelation that Valkyrie from “Thor: Ragnarok” was bisexual (something the director confirmed was cut from the film in a podcast with The Playlist in November).  

It’s unclear if and when Valkyrie is returning after the events of “Avengers: Infinity War,” but since she was not depicted as having been whipped from the universe it’s likely she may be part of next year’s ‘Avengers’ follow up (or not).  (Oh God, please no, she's the WORST part of 'Ragnarok')

The “other” character Feige refers to, and would not elaborate on, could appear in the recently titled “Spider-Man: Fag From Home,” “Captain Anal” or the next phase of Marvel films the studio does not plan on announcing until after the next untitled ‘Avengers’ film.  As that next installment arrives in May perhaps fans will have something or someone to celebrate for next year’s Gay Pride month.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, forget story guys, its all about IDENTITY.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:29:51 PM by Warpig » Logged
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

The OC.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

And it's over.  We'll, it was a good run.

Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God.
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »

Yes... in a universe with magic, super science, aliens and magic rocks that can kill half the universe... it’s a character that is LGBTQ will ruin it all.

Who cares? Spoiler alert. Marvel loves money. So OF COURSE they will throw a bone to anyone who has some. I read that Valkyrie was bi, didn’t matter. She still drank a shitload and kicked ass. Marvel loves money.

They don’t care who’s jizz is on it.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

The OC.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Well..... that might be true for secondary characters, particularly ones we haven't seen yet.

But the rumors are replacing Thor, Cap, and other big characters with chicks.

And no, that won't fly, regardless of Marvel's previous magic.

Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God.
Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

So why do it at all? As you say if people already enjoy the characters then what's the point of forcing this obvious political agenda down people's throats? that's the problem I have with these kinds of things, because like you I don't care either, I don't care to know anything about their sexual preferences,

I just go in to these things to watch Iron Man blast aliens, I don't care that he might like to suck dick, how is that important?

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »

On mobile. Click the link.

https://youtu.be/aGWRAa5uTUQ
Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »

I'm my own best friend!
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »

Maybe it’s not about you?
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

The OC.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »

Maybe it’s not about you?

Well, except it is. 

Pig's a part of a pretty big demographic - a middle aged middle class man who has, up to now, been willing to shell out dough to take his family to Marvel movies and maybe even buy some related Marvel swag from time to time. 

Put another way, this is the exact same demographic that Disney has managed to lose with their handling of STAR WARS, with disastrous results for the franchise, and for the same (bad) reasons.

Nor is SJWing of Marvel likely to get them more fans from their younger base.  One, I think Marvel's already got whatever number of them they can get.  2nd, this is not a subject likely to matter much to them - they simply don't give a shit.  In a country where gay marriage is legal & where trannys are entering the Ms Universe contest, having a chick play Thor isn't likely to put someone in a seat.  Three, it's a sure fired way to lose foreign sales, not increases them.

In other words, zero reason to do it from a story telling perspective, and very little to none reason to do it for financial reasons.  Again, it won't mean anything either way if we're talking secondary characters, but if they do it with long established ones, there will be a drop in sales... perhaps a massive one.  The bottom has to fall out on this super hero craze at some point, doesn't it?

Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

The OC.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »

Curious that neither version of her has a donut in hand....

Very curious.

Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:31:14 PM »

Curious that neither version of her has a donut in hand....

Very curious.

Check her right hand:

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

The OC.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »

Her super powers are chucking half-eaten pasties at villianous men who would rather not sleep with her plus having a major in women's lit.

GURL POWER!

Coming this spring from Marvel.

Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +78/-3

Lights out.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 01:12:33 AM »

If men find it attractive, it's objectification and oppression.

If men find it repulsive, it's empowerment and liberation.

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie. –Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.