Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 12:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be a zombie in REANIMATED's mid-season finale on August 25th & 26th!  PM JDV for details!
110181 Posts in 19466 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: jdv)
| | |-+  SOLO crashing at box office
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLO crashing at box office  (Read 268 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »

But, so far I haven't heard anyone who is not a reviewer say that they actively hated it.

If the bar's that low, then movies are already dead meat.  

Prequels done while the original cast are still young enough to be in them - like the HOBBIT prequels - are OK.  But of course those Hobbit movies were based on a beloved book, a book that help set-up LOTR itself.  It was directed/written/shot/SFXed/scored by most of the same people who made the original trilogy in the same country.  As mentioned, at least 4 of the original actors were still young enough to play roles in it.  There was - obviously based on the resulting box office - a desire by LOTR fans to see these prequels.

Contrast that with SOLO and the difference becomes readily apparent.  Did Lucas direct, write, edit, or in any way contribute to SOLO?  Nope.  Were any of the original actors in it?  Not that I know of, unless you count a Chewie suit.  Was it based on a book, something like HAN SOLO AT STAR'S END?  No.  Did Williams score it?  Negative.  Was there any real sign of demand for this movie?  No.  Had Disney already massively under-cut the character via the awful STAR WARS 7?  Sure did.  Did they cast someone who's clearly the best young actor of his generation?  I think that answer is no....

Here's the thing - being "not awful" isn't a reason for people to go to a movie theater.  If this project had to happen - and obviously it didn't - then TV was where it should have happened at.

I don't buy the fatigue argument.  Marvel is shitting out movies at a far greater pace - ANT MAN 2 coming out after DEAD POOL2 which came out right after AVENGERS 3 which came out right after THOR 3 - and those movies are making hand over fist and all of them have been released since November of last year.  While the STAR WARS universe is a much weaker one then say STAR TREK, or the various comic book line-ups, it's still strong enough to work if the movies were good...

But they're not.  The two sequels are simply awful.  If you remove the upgraded CG, your truly have turd sandwiches.  Preachy, dumb, political (and bad politics to boot), weak actors, weaker plots - truly the worst of everything.  As noted by us, STAR WARS 8 may well be the worst sequel of all time considering all the things it could have been and the resources available.  

ROGUE ONE only made watchable by the use of characters & stories long established by good STAR WARS movies, and even then it's fairly boring.

Disney managed to simultaneously alienate older fans while making few new ones.   The result is SOLO..... with more disasters to come.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:21:28 AM by jdv » Logged

Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Sorry, but I only listen to 'Progressive' Rock.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »

Have you seen THIS business:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/05/star-wars-kelly-marie-tran-rose-tico-harassment/

Star Wars fans rally around Kelly Marie Tran after reported online harassment

As Rose Tico puts it: “That’s how we’re gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, but by saving what we love.”

After Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s Kelly Marie Tran reportedly left Instagram following months of online abuse and harassment, Star Wars fans are rallying around the actress.

Tran became the first Asian-American woman to headline a Star Wars movie when she was cast as Resistance mechanic Rose Tico in The Last Jedi. Although Tran’s performance and character were widely praised, a number of so-called Star Wars fans have unleashed a torrent of racist and sexist attacks on Tran ever since the movie hit theaters in December.

The 29-year-old actress recently wiped her Instagram of all posts, and although Tran has not publicly commented as to why, many have speculated that it’s because of online harassment. (Tran’s costar Daisy Ridley deleted her Instagram in 2016, calling it bad for mental health.)

The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson added his voice on Twitter, writing that the “VAST majority” of Star Wars fans “like & dislike stuff but we do it with humor, love & respect.”

A number of Star Wars fans (including Kumail Nanjiani and Star Wars book author Chuck Wendig) also flooded Twitter to praise Tran and denounce the racist and sexist attacks against her.  (really didn't see any?  But they must be out there somewhere)

In an interview with EW before The Last Jedi hit theaters, Tran opened up about her casting and the significance of being the first woman of color to be cast in a starring role in a Star Wars movie.

“Growing up I watched a lot of [pop culture] and didn’t really get to see a lot of people that looked like me,” she told EW last year . “I think that I’m really lucky to be this person, and I get to be part of this franchise. I hope that it is a move in a better direction.”
Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »

I really didn't care for the Hobbit prequels, honestly.  How you stretch maybe two moves worth of material into three super-long and fairly dull movies is beyond me.
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »

The only way TLJ could have been saved, really...

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »

"In an interview with EW before The Last Jedi hit theaters, Tran opened up about her casting and the significance of being the first woman of color to be cast in a starring role in a Star Wars movie."

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  And I've been to a democrat fund raiser.  Let's break down the stupid of just that one statement.....

1).  She's not a woman "of color".  She's whiter then a belly of a fish.  Truly, she may be the most lightly complected person in the cast.

2).  She's not a woman "of color" (part 2).  That unfortunate - and kinda racist - turn of phrase is usually left to black American women... which presumably she's not.  Even if she was a darker shade of ethnicity, say Indian, Arab, or anyone from Florida, the term doesn't fit.  And did I mention it's a dumb racist term to boot?

3).  There is no significance to being in the worst sequel of all time, other then maybe shame.  True, it's rarely if ever an actor's fault for a movie sucking, but should the guy playing Torgo have felt awesome for being in MANOS..... THE HANDS OF FATE?  The answer was clearly no, as he blew his head off with a shotgun not long after it debuted.  Not saying she should follow suit, but when you're in a shit burger and people have shelled out hard earned dough with the promise of something better then MANOS, get ready for static when it's worse.

4).  Staring role?  That's a stretch.  While the movie is so badly written that anyone with a speaking part that doesn't seem insanely lame or out of character will seem more interesting then the leads - all of whom are disasters - that doesn't make you a lead.  Featured?  Maybe.  But again who cares when the actual leads seem to have been written in a lesbian actress only workshop.

5).  This "woman of color" has one primary function - trapping a black man on a ship.  To work.  For free.  Which is kinda weird.

6).  How does any of this change the reality of the film as a whole?  I'm guessing this actress doesn't get any static at all if the movie wasn't a giant shit sandwich, a movie so bad that it has become the first film where it's fan base is clamoring for a mulligan - that is to say, literally pretending it does not exist.  It's a perfect storm of awful.

7).  She's fat.  That perhaps is part of this.  While I have no issue in general with chubby actors, it's kinda hard to believe she's a part of a rag-tag, hanging on by their nails rebellion when it looks like she just ate a Whooper.  After she got her hair and nails done.  Well, at least her hair wasn't purple, 'cause that would be just ridiculous.

8.  To suggest STAR WARS fans hate Asians in STAR WARS about as dumb as it gets.  The entire story is torn whole cloth from Asian sources/movies.  Ditto that the characters, the "force", and the pacing.  The only character people didn't hate in ROGUE ONE (besides Vader) were the Asian ones.

9).  What racist comments?  By whom?  Considering the amount of hoaxes being perpetrated, such comments - even if they can be found at all - should be taken with a grain of salt, no?

10.)   This was but one sentence.  Imagine how bad the stupid burns actually being around these people.....

Shivers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:20:26 PM by jdv » Logged

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »

I really didn't care for the Hobbit prequels, honestly.  How you stretch maybe two moves worth of material into three super-long and fairly dull movies is beyond me.

Oh, I know they're not great..... but they are far better fare then the recent SW flicks have been.

More to the point, there was at least some artistic reason to make those Hobbit films.  That's in stark contrast the Disney SW flicks, which are are pure SJW money grabs and nothing more.

Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »

It's almost like they're foisted on you.

Like a crazy ex-girlfriend that forces you to love her against your will.

Disney's new Star Wars films are the Annie Wilkes of Cinema.

You dirty bird.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

RLM goofs on SOLO for a couple of minutes....

"You know why they called it SOLO?"

"No."

" 'Cause only one person saw it."

The rest of the show about HEREDITARY....

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

Scientist Man is back to explain how Disney and Lucasfilm can save Star Wars.

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »

Didn't watch it, 'cause there is only one way:

Fire everyone associated with these movies, hire Lucas back, and pretend none of it happened.

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »

Their pride won't allow that. Better to kill one of the most successful franchises in history than to admit you're wrong.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »

Oh for sure.  They'd continue to blame fans for hating their wonderful products....

The toy sales - or now complete lack thereof - might force the issue.

Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »

Thats gotta be a fun shareholder meeting... all they need to do is point to Marvel and ask "What the fucking fuck are YOU DOING!?!?!"
Warpig
Master of disaster

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »

The toy sales - or now complete lack thereof - might force the issue.

...And Disney is quitting doing spin-off stories:

"Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm
It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

This news comes in the wake of the disappointing launch of Solo, which was only Lucasfilm’s second A Star Wars Story spinoff, but which received mixed-positive reviews and fell short of box office expectations."
----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget massive fan hate plus zero toy sales.  Why, these new STAR WARS movies have it all!

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.