Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 12:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be a zombie in REANIMATED's mid-season finale on August 25th & 26th!  PM JDV for details!
110181 Posts in 19466 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Ebooks, Novels, Comics, Magazines, Newspapers, Art (Moderator: crow)
| | |-+  ROAD TO BERLIN, BLACK COLOSSUS, THE GODFATHER, JOE THE BARBARIAN, SSOC #89
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ROAD TO BERLIN, BLACK COLOSSUS, THE GODFATHER, JOE THE BARBARIAN, SSOC #89  (Read 250 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

I'm a wizard mind you!

« on: April 03, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »

SO while the weather's been awful, been doing a bit more reading then usual, helped in part by books I got for me birthday from Crow, Gunz, and Evon.

ROAD TO BERLIN
John Erickson was the preeminent historian of WWII regarding Germany's invasion into Russia, and their subsequent victory over the Nazis.  His grasp of the names and events are truly amazing, as is the war he writes about.   The vast scale of death and destruction the 2 countries managed upon each other - and any country between them - can scarcely be believed.  With every turn of the page another 10,000 soldiers evaporate in a cauldron of battle.

What Erikson does best, beyond his grasp of the battlefields at any given moment, is indicate just what a sacrifice the Russians had to give to beat the Germans.  The Russians accounted for 7 out of every 10 dead German soldiers.... maybe even 8 out of 10.  Virtually all other English language books on the Big One concentrate on what the English & Americans did to win the war, so to see the Russian perspective as written by a westerner is quite rare.  The book itself is only for historians or WWII nuts, so dense is the material, but if you ever really want to know about the biggest & deadliest armies the planet earth has ever created in a complete battle to the death, this is the book for you.

BLACK COLOSSUS graphic novel by Dark Horse
This was Robert E Howard's 3 Conan adventure, and this is easily the best comic book version of it.  The book has fantastic art by Tomas Giorello & Jose Villarubbia - great color, penciling, scale, framing - it's all just about perfect.  The story as fleshed out by Tim Truman is worthy of Howard himself - gritty adventure at its best.  A must read for Conan buffs.

SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN, #89
The story in this SSOC is set directly after the events in BLACK COLOSSUS, so it's an interesting one/two punch when read with the modern graphic novel.  The violence level is even higher in SSOC, and the art by Alfredo Alcala still holds up well (the black & white, charcoal based coloring of SSOC an interesting contrast to today's modern ultra color splash pages).  As in BLACK COLOSSUS, the story rolls right along with hardly a moment wasted.

JOE THE BARBARIAN
Another excellently drawn graphic novel (by Grant Morrison & Sean Murphy), this one is sort of a combination of Den from HEAVY METAL and Ralph Bakshi's WIZARDS.  The art reminded me of DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller, and that's a good thing.  The story is far out fantasy, but the art is a bit better then the story itself as it's just a scooch too unbelievable.

THE GODFATHER
Mario Puzo's novel was a sensation when it came out, directly influencing everything from Don Pendleton's MACK BOLAN to every other crime book written for years after.  EGEers of course will be interested in how closely it relates to the movie version and the answer.... almost exactly.  In fact, the movie is so close to the book it makes you wonder how much of the movie's greatness is the actors and photography and how much is the characters from the book.  Coppola's main contribution seems to be that of casting, not messing with the story, and hiring Gordon Willis to shoot the thing.  The dialogue is ripped line by line from the book.

Notably, Coppola's other masterpiece, APOCALYPSE NOW, is also based on a book.  Interestingly enough, there's a minor character named "Coppola" in the early part of the novel.  The movie changes almost nothing from the book, except to cut a few scenes (notably and still timely, a Hollywood exec fucking a 12 year old).  A masterpiece of characterization, story telling, and of course, exposing the mob, it's a must read.

Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!
Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Sorry, but I only listen to 'Progressive' Rock.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

That sounds awesome, I can't wait to learn how to read!
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »

You never studied.

And don't worry scro - there's lots of pictures too!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:11:37 PM by jdv » Logged

Warpig
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +272/-142

Sorry, but I only listen to 'Progressive' Rock.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »

You never studied.

And don't worry scro - there's lots of pictures too!

crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +142/-34

u just haven't earned it yet...

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »

Nice. Doesn't the novel also feature all of the flashbacks of young Don Corleone from Godfather Part II?

...baby.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

I'm a wizard mind you!

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:35:50 PM »

It has the scene where he kills the neighborhood would-be mafia guy.  I think that's it.

Like the movie (original) it doesn't actually have the GF in it for the majority of the time. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.