Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 06:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
EGE needs zombies!  Join us October 20th for the biggest collection of zombies in Michigan's history!  PM JDV for details.
110982 Posts in 19634 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Entertainment News
| |-+  Tech Talk
| | |-+  Youtube killing goose that laid the golden egg
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Youtube killing goose that laid the golden egg  (Read 607 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +247/-222

Save your servant.

« on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »

Being a Social Justice Warrior can be tough on the bottom line....

"The internet is a fickle mistress.

Popular YouTube stars like PewDiePie and Zoella are seeing a huge slowdown in their online subscriber growth, signalling that even the top earners will need to look beyond video to maintain their popularity and income.

Famous YouTubers experienced years of massive growth, but it's slowing down.  Let's look at PewDiePie, one of the most successful and established YouTubers, whose real name is Felix Kjellberg.

As PewDiePie, Kjellberg built a base of fans who enjoyed watching him play games, though he quickly branched out into goofball comedy and, increasingly, philosophical musings about the news, his fame, and YouTube as a platform.

But the picture isn't so positive when we look at the number of subscribers a month.

Since January, the number of people subscribing to Kjellberg's channel each month has slowed.  It isn't clear why this is happening, but it is a lesson for creators who have carved out a living producing videos for YouTube.

In November 2016, Ethan Klein said in a video that the site was mysteriously unsubscribing some people, including Kjellberg. At the time, he speculated that subscription glitches were due to the site's changing algorithms. Other YouTubers weighed in, saying their views had been "really bad."

After several scandals about inappropriate content on the platform, YouTube is having to be a lot more careful about what it promotes through its algorithms.

In November, BuzzFeed uncovered an autocomplete bug in which users were prompted with the search term "How to have s*x with your kids" if they typed "How to have" in the search box. And advertisers including Mars boycotted YouTube after The Times found paedophilic comments underneath videos with children.

It's possible that this, plus a wider crackdown by Google, YouTube's parent company, on fake traffic from bots, may be affecting viewing figures. Regardless, it looks as if it's likely to be a tough 2018 for YouTube's creators."
---------------------------

Censorship - it's a bitch.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-worlds-biggest-youtube-stars-are-seeing-a-massive-slowdown-2017-12

I have dreams... of a rose, and then of falling down a long flight of steps.
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »

They only want videos that advertisers want.
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +78/-3

Lights out.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »

As entropy in the form of cultural fragmentation and Balkanization progresses, the lowest common denominator becomes smaller and smaller, and I'm not just talking ethno-culturally, but socio-politico-philosophically as well. This puts mass advertising, or "non-niche" advertising, in a bind. When there's no such thing as a collectively agreed upon "appropriateness" or "political correctness" among hundreds of millions if not billions of people, then what are you willing to sponsor?

Even if something is popular with millions of people, millions of other people may be appalled and offended in some way, generally because they perceive it as working against whatever they consider their own collective interests are... or they've at least been convinced of this through conditioning or other mental blockages and cognitive dissonance, even to if such may not be so much the case. There's also different forms of virtue signaling with the aim of achieving acceptance, survival, and reproductive success within one's social circles, etc.

In the end, social media censorship ends up creating your own competition in the form of new platforms arising to fill the needs of those shunned and banished, however such competition may initially be a bit smaller and somewhat more niche-oriented in comparison to the lowest common denominator megacorp social media outlets. Over time the same thing may happen to what are today the new upstarts as well. And then the cycle will go around once more, at least until the internet itself becomes more decentralized and information becomes less vulnerable to such choke points due to new waves of innovative and disruptive mesh structures.

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie. –Miyamoto Musashi
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Save your servant.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »

They only want videos that advertisers want.

Which is which this thread is called "killing the golden goose" - their own search engine is stopping searches that go to popular uploaders, like pewdeepie. 

Youtube's rather ham-handed censorship became very apparent in 2017.

timmy2442
Swami

Instant karma is real +144/-38

Like tears in the rain.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »

As long as we're only talking censorship of privately held and moderated sites, I don't give a shit.

Are you saying you've never deleted inappropriate comments/threads here at EGE?  Because we all know that has happened.  Sometimes the quality of the pool water is just too important to have an "all-swim" situation.

Drink something strong, laugh with true friends, find comfort in a comfortless world, and stride boldly into violent endeavor.  Life is not that fucking hard.  - Gunnar Redboar
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +143/-34

I look inside myself...

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

YouTube (Alphabet) is a publicly traded company.

...and see my heart is black. I see my red door, I must have it painted black.
Plissken
All Knowing Mega One

Instant karma is real +78/-3

Lights out.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »

Again, they're just creating their own competition.

Is it not legitimate to express that you feel a business is not serving your interests and demand that they change or you will go elsewhere?

Is it not legitimate to start a competitive operation to serve others who feel unserved by their policies?

There's now minds.com, gab.ai, bitchute.com, even twitch.tv is being used as an alternative to youtube. Many youtubers, particularly political ones, are at least diversifying their platform use, particularly since the Adpocalypse.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:11:20 PM by Plissken » Logged

Truth is not what you want it to be, it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie. –Miyamoto Musashi
timmy2442
Swami

Like tears in the rain.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »

YouTube (Alphabet) is a publicly traded company.

Point being they are only beholden to their shareholders, and can do whatever they want with the content they own.  In this case it means that the word "censorship" means jack-and-shit.

Drink something strong, laugh with true friends, find comfort in a comfortless world, and stride boldly into violent endeavor.  Life is not that fucking hard.  - Gunnar Redboar
crow
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +143/-34

I look inside myself...

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »

Back in the '50s, to avoid government censors, the comic book industry decided to police itself with the Comics Code Authority. Even though the industry was killing it's own creativity I would still call it censorship. The pressure came from outside. Same with Google, who currently holds a monopoly on online searches and video. The pressure is coming from the political left and greedy corporations. Google is hurting it's own product and it's freelancers to avoid outside interference, but the effect is the same.

...and see my heart is black. I see my red door, I must have it painted black.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Save your servant.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »

In this case it means that the word "censorship" means jack-and-shit.

Except it doesn't, as the article clearly proves/points out.  At a very minimum, it has effected earnings, views, and subscribers - much less the bad pub.

And no, I don't censor.  The only times I can remember censoring anything here was when Michael Paul used the word "nigger" (or other language I thought might personally hurt him down the line)  and when Gunz had post about EGE youtube page that was... inaccurate.  

I also have an obligation to censor anything slanderous against a living person, particularly if they are not famous. I have, based on people's requests, removed other posts that they themselves have posted or were mentioned in (usually when too much info was shared, like phone numbers).

I don't censor people whole cloth based on their politics, or race, or there they work at - as youtube now does on a regular basis.  Nor do I try to do anything to prevent people from finding pre-existing posts or the like, as youtube now does.  Out of the more then one hundred eight thousand posts on this site, I have edited or censored probably no more then 10 (with at least 5 of those coming from MPV).  So far less then 1/1000th of a percent of posts get removed/edited.

You might find nothing wrong with censorship from one of the world's biggest corporations wielding massive influence, but others certainly can.  Which is why - as Snake has pointed out - youtube rivals are growing in number.  But for now, youtube is the 400 pound gorilla against the 1 once mouse.

Point being they are only beholden to their shareholders, and can do whatever they want with the content they own.  

Quite inaccurate.  There are a host of rules and laws associated with running such a company, particularly when one could argue quite convincingly that the company is a monopoly.  And directly censoring a class of people is prohibited by a host of laws.

And of course, there's lots of other shady financial shit youtube will one day we forced to face, like their non-stop fucking of people out of money....

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:08:26 PM by jdv » Logged

timmy2442
Swami

Like tears in the rain.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »

Granted that political correctness is a stupid philosophy, taken to extreme ends, but any outside pressure by political entities obviously takes a back seat to real and *perceived* negative press that may or may not affect profits. It's the government who are in the pockets of corporate interests, not the other way around.  If Alphabet thinks that facts skew politically left, and that the bottom line will be negatively affected by some Twitter-wit, they have every right to protect the "righteousness" of their bottom line by censoring this post or that video.

Call it whatever you want but my pool analogy stands.  If you see shit in the pool, you don't assume it's a Baby Ruth.  Ask JDV why certain posts were censored here at EGE.  It's pretty simple calculus, really.  Moderators delete comments and entire threads all the time at any number of websites or forums, for good reason, and none of that amounts to a politically relevant definition of (big "C") censorship.

My gut tells me for every "golden goose" like PewDiePie, there are a hundred more waiting to fill that space, and YouTube is not going to suffer one wit for it.

jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Save your servant.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »

My gut tells me for every "golden goose" like PewDiePie, there are a hundred more waiting to fill that space, and YouTube is not going to suffer one wit for it.

Maybe.... but when you're politically correct, you'll ultimately lose money because the left never stops feeling mortified, regardless of how silly the issue is.  The NFL is a wonderful prime example of this trend, and yes- they have lost tens of millions of dollars because of it. 

And there have been other sites, like the ones Snake mentioned, that have sprung up as a direct result of youtube's shenanigans.  They might not mean much now, but things can rapidly change, particularly when the internet is involved (not to mention all those billions of dollars).

Ultimately it's all about content - if youtube kills the content you happen to want, or makes it impossible to find, or stops monetizing those content producers (as they have done to an extreme) so that they stop producing the content in the first place - you will go to another site.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO HOME

GO TO THE ORIGINAL EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.