Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2020, 11:09:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
New 2 Fat Drunks ep!
120649 Posts in 21462 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+ Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+ Filmmaking - Tips, Tools, and Tricks
| |-+ Pre-Production
| | |-+ Production Design, Costumes, & Props
| | | |-+ How the original lightsabers got made
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the original lightsabers got made  (Read 932 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +248/-222

Happy Thanksgiving!

« on: March 02, 2017, 12:02:40 AM »

Slick, short, and interesting (well, to STAR WARS nerds anyway):

Sayonara  suckers!
Gunslinger
Bad Movie Muad'Dib
Admin
Swami

Instant karma is real +11350/-65

\_(ツ)_/ Boom Operator Supreme

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:57:06 AM »

That was awesome. Who thought a prop built for $15 would be worth $250 grand someday?
Plissken
Grand Poohbah

Instant karma is real +79/-3

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

The economics of the future are somewhat different.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Happy Thanksgiving!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

The piece is wrong about one thing - it claims STAR WARS had a small budget.  Nothing further from the the truth can be imagined.  While $14 million might not seem like much in today's dollars, it was far and away the highest budgeted flick of the year.

Gotta remember that this was a time when most movies were small dramas, like ANNIE HALL (which actually won best pic the year STAR WARS came out) was considered to have a high budget with its $4 million cost.

STAR WARS went so over budget that Lucas signed away his director's fee... in exchange for the sequel rights (which then led to the merch rights after NEW HOPE was a smash).  At least that's one version of the story, which naturally has many variations considering the amount of dough Fox ultimately lost out on.

Sayonara  suckers!
Plissken
Grand Poohbah

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »

First of all, the original budget Fox agreed upon was $8 million. It ended up being $11 million, as far as I know, not $14 million.

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, which came out that same summer, actually was $14 million, so the claim that it was the highest budgeted flick that year doesn't seem all that accurate either.

However, saying the movie had a "miniscule" budget still seems like a stretch.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:15:05 PM by Plissken » Logged
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Happy Thanksgiving!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »

Number I've always read was $14 million... and the initial budget was lower then the 10 mil listed on the form.  And no, I doubt SPY actually cost $14 mil - maybe 8 mil plus a whole of "we'll charge ourselves money for using our own facilities and producers" type overhead. 

So reddit is wrong....

Of course, studios are notorious for fudging those numbers up - or down - depending on what suits their needs.  In any event, STAR WARS cost a shitload of money in '70's dollars.  None of these numbers are totally reliable.  See Art Buchwald's suit against Columbia (I think it's Columbia) for COMING TO AMERICA.  I found three consecutive sites each with different total cost for the WARS.  And the described cost of STAR WARS varied between "lavish" "modest" and "just".  Money's in the eye of the beholder I guess.

One thing I didn't know (if it's true) is that the actors - including the then unknowns - got back end points.

Sayonara  suckers!
Plissken
Grand Poohbah

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »

That budget is apparently from a 1981 book called Anatomy of the Movies by David Pine.

Vanity Fair claimed that the original budget offered by Fox was $8 million, but yeah, who knows really?

And I don't doubt they wasted a lot of money on that James Bond movie. It is at least comparable. It's interesting to compare the two as far as bang for your buck.
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Happy Thanksgiving!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »

SPY made a lot of dough (as do most Bond flicks), but of course nothing compared the NEW HOPE. 

In any event, it's clearly hard for younger folk to understand why spending Bond money on a totally unknown space wizard movie was such a long shot.   It seems so obvious now...

Hollywood's a funny place - Alan Ladd jr, the guy at Fox who greenlit STAR WARS when everyone else there was gonna turn it down, ultimately not rewarded for his vision, rather he was fired for signing away the sequel/merch rights....

Which no one thought were worth a hill of beans when he did so.

Sayonara  suckers!
Plissken
Grand Poohbah

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

How DARE Alan Ladd Jr. not see that black swan coming. I guess it wasn't exactly... obvious.

Many miniatures died to bring you these movies.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO TO THE EGE HOMEPAGE
GO TO THE OLD EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.