Evil Genius Message Board <br>http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 10:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
New 2 Fat Drunks ep!
120280 Posts in 21404 Topics by 9889 Members
Latest Member: Jeremy

* Home Help Calendar Login Register
+  Evil Genius Message Board
http://www.evilgeniusentertainment.com

|-+  Filmmaking - Tips, Tools, and Tricks
| |-+  Production
| | |-+  Shooting (Moderator: crow)
| | | |-+  Review: Sigma 30mm 2.8 for mirror-less cameras (MFT & Sony)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Sigma 30mm 2.8 for mirror-less cameras (MFT & Sony)  (Read 458 times)
jdv
Admin
Master of disaster

Instant karma is real +248/-222

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

« on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »

This is over in the GH5 thread, but I thought it deserved it's own post....

Yeah, there's nothing quite like native glass, is there...

You know it.  Speaking of native glass, today I got my Sigma 30mm 2.8 from B&H, which I'd been looking for a while.  With it, I now have a whopping 3 pieces of native glass - the 2.8 16mm, the 16-50mm kit lens, and now the Sigma.

At $169, it's pretty well accepted as the best bang for buck for native prime lens for Sony's (at least if you want auto focus, which I did).  The other Sigma 2.8 lenses (the 19mm and 60mm) also get great reviews.  Sigma has come out with newer, F 1.4, lenses which also get great reviews, but cost quite a bit more.

I managed to talk B&H into giving me a Hoya filter kit, lens holder, and lens cap strap for free, so pretty much robbed them (Adorama had a similar deal).

Had it on for a couple of hours now, and I'm very happy with it.  It's pretty much what everyone said it would be - fast(ish) at F 2.8, light, small, and sharp at all apertures (truly amazing at this price).  Not as quick to focus as newer Sony-brand lens (like the 16-50mm kit lens), it's still decent fast to grab on.

The only real negative is lack of in-lens stabilization, but that would be unheard of at this price point (the $250 16-50mm Sony kit lens the cheapest lens in any lineup as far as I know).

30mm pretty much my fav focal length for S35 sized sensors - wide-enough to be wide, but tele enough to be flattering to actor's faces.  On my camera, a 30mm lens is the equivalent of a 45, which really is a sweet spot.

Great walk-around prime lens, should also be great for gimbals/stedicams, and may even work for straight up movie-making (auto-focus slow but smooth; manual focus fly-by-wire, but decently responsive). 

Smooth focus rings has pluses and minuses - on the plus side, it looks slick as shit and is easy to clean.  On the other, it's a bit too slick to get a good grip on (I'm guessing a thick rubber band will suitably work as a DIY fix).

If you have a NEX/E-mount camera, and want a great walk-around prime for cheap, this is pretty much the one.  Comes with a sweet lens case, nice cap, and hood.  So a great deal even if you can't rook B&H out of some accessories... 

Adorama's deal (B&H will match if you have a 1/2 hour to kill):
https://www.adorama.com/sg3028dsonsa.html

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

GO TO THE EGE HOMEPAGE
GO TO THE OLD EGE SITE

The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent those of Evil Genius Entertainment, Crowboy Digital, or Crowboy.com.